Founded in 2016, TRNSD Sound is a local platform moving culture with music as the foundation. TRNSD Sound was created to inspire a passive consumption placing value on music discovery an creation.
For our first DJ guest session, we’ve got a young wavy lady who goes by Deniece Marz… “Don’t forget the ellipsis, it’s part of the name.”
Get to know a little bit about her and her vibes below.
- Who is Deniece Marz…?
Deniece Marz… is an all round artist (DJ and closet producer), currently studying fashion design.
- What got you to start playing on the one’s and two’s and how did you end up finding your sound?
I’ve always really loved music & I’ve been known to carry a big music library in my head, so I always kinda used to mix and mesh songs in my head. That made decide to start learning how to DJ. As far as getting my sound, I’ve always been surrounded by Hip-hop and jazz music thanks to my dad and uncle.
- Do you find any challenges being a young black women in the DJ scene?
Of course there are challenges, but I like to use that as a weapon. People don’t expect much out of you at first, because you’re a black female DJ. Once they see you play, you change the ideas they had of you because of your race and gender.
- The South African street culture is really causing waves from the fashion to the arts and the music. What are your thoughts on how the youth are adopting and a carrying our culture? Is the representation good?
The youth is really doing their thing. They’re doing some good things in street culture. We just need to lean to stay level headed and humble, to make sure we don’t pet our egos. Also, we need to be more professional in our hustle, know how to treat people with respect and to respect their art and time.
- Do you plan on producing or releasing your own music in future?
I would love to. I’ve been holding onto some stuff in my Ableton files. In the near future, though, I’d definitely like to put something out.
We’ve made-up a list of 5 “favourite” questions below to know a little extra about you:
1. Favorite sneaker brand?
2. Favorite album of all time?
uhhh… ‘Black on Both Sides.’
3. Favorite piece of Tech?
4. Most Favorite venue to chill at?
My room, haha dope vibes and good music all the time
5. If you ever got the chance to collaborate with any musician/DJ, ho would it be?
Instagram + Twitter: _deniece_